[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Daniel Roca drocacan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:49:08 PDT 2012

El 02/11/2012, a las 10:04, Nicolas Meeùs escribió:

> I used to teach that analysis is about what is not heard, but that any analysis is wrong that can't be heard. My students derided me for these contradictory statements. What I meant, however, is that analysis is about helping to hear what was not heard at first.

At a more elementary level, I think that analysis is also about helping to understand what is heard, even at first. I often find that my students' ears (their acoustic brain, so to speak) do a better job than their  verbal brain.

> Besides, adding musical examples in a book about the history of opera is not necessarily about structural analysis.

I agree 100%. But I think it was Stephen Hawking who said that, while preparing A Brief History of Time, the publisher said that any mathematical formula on it would decrease expected sales in 50%. Finally, he only used E=mc2.

_________

Daniel Roca
Higher Conservatory of the Canary Islands
Spain
drocacan at gmail.com