[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri Nov 2 03:04:45 PDT 2012

I used to teach that analysis is about what is not heard, but that any
analysis is wrong that can't be heard. My students derided me for these
contradictory statements. What I meant, however, is that analysis is
about helping to hear what was not heard at first.

The somewhat rousseauan idea of a "virgin" listener, not yet deformed by
previous hearings of the piece, appears to make sense. Yet, first-time
listeners usually miss much of the music.

Besides, adding musical examples in a book about the history of opera is
not necessarily about structural analysis. It may merely help reminding
previous experiences of the works. The whole idea to deal in text with
works unheard seems odd to me. But if the music already is known,
reminding it with musical examples seems the right thing to do.
Publishers do pretend that their readers cannot read music, but (a) I
think that more people than that can read music; and (b) that even more
could read if publishers accepted to include musical examples... And
with the technical means of today, musical examples should not
dramatically increase the price of a book.

In short, besides the interest of being more informed about a piece, I
thing that there is the interest of being made able to use the
information (memory) already available.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne