[Smt-talk] Schenkerian analysis - visual impaired student

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Mon Nov 5 14:49:21 PST 2012

Brooks Kerr, the visually-impaired jazz pianist known for knowing more Ellington
than Ellington, was told by the Manhattan School that he must learn Braille music
in order to be admitted. He refused. Later, when I taught at MSM, I tutored a
visually impaired classical guitar student. Because his pitch was perfect and his
imagination strong, we were able to approach analysis from a dictation perspective.
He was able to discern what I played, hold a picture of it in his imagination
and discourse from there. He 'got' sophisticated ideas, indeed, he relished them.
I think this can only work in private sessions and even then with a student so inclined.

Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College
Flushing, NY  11367