[Smt-talk] Schenkerian analysis - visual impaired student

Forrest, David david.forrest at ttu.edu
Tue Nov 6 06:58:54 PST 2012

I agree that it is worth the struggle to overcome this challenge.  I have been teaching theory and aural skills to a blind student for three semesters now and it has been extremely rewarding.  We do have to meet one-on-one and it does take extra work to convert materials into appropriate formats.  However I have learned a lot about my own teaching in the process.  Many of the materials I have developed for her have been very useful in the "regular" classroom.  I have begun to realize how much I rely on visual aids, rather than aural aids, to teach theory concepts.  She doesn't read braille but she has a computer program that will read text aloud.  So I can still have her chart large forms of pieces, we have simply developed a text-based chart that works via email.  The basics (and advanced concepts) of Schenkerian theory can be taught aurally, and might actually be more effective if you can't hide behind notation.  At least, that has been my experience.

I'd be happy to share resources if you are interested.

Best,
David

David Forrest, PhD
Assistant Professor of Music Theory