[Smt-talk] Schenkerian analysis - visual impaired student

Deborah Stein dstein36 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 15:11:50 PST 2012

Hi all,

I taught a blind student in my Lied course and learned a lot about how to
teach differently.  She had scores in braille  but the text wasn't in
braille. She was smart and attentive and had a great ear, so she probably
heard better than most of the other students. I had to describe things I
wrote on the board and identify where we were in the music and, of course,
she couldn't look at the poetry as I read it aloud.   And we had to meet
privately from time to time.

While it might seem unrealistic to teach Schenkerian analysis to someone who
cannot see, it is possible to teach the concepts without having to rely on
the graph.  Many of the concepts can be understood without seeing a graph:
structural levels, primary tone, linear progressions, etc.  And while the
student might not be able to do a sketch, he or she might be able to
describe what a sketch might do. It is amazing how a blind person imagines
things.

One problem might be getting the music into braille, if the student knows
braille.  It takes time for this, so if the student signs up for the course,
you'll need to get the music ready asap.  There are lots of scores already
available in braille!

Good luck!

Deborah

Deborah Stein