[Smt-talk] stretto calculation

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Thu Nov 8 06:33:12 PST 2012

Dear Stephen and List,

To Prof. Schubert's list of articles I would add:

Lynden De Young, Stretto by Direct and Contrary Motion in Three
Fugues by J. S. Bach, Indiana Theory Review Vol. 18/2 (1997).

If I recall correctly, this article describes the special technique
evident in the B-flat minor Fugue (WTC II). Basically the technique
can be described as follows:  The theme is, for the most part,
harmonizable by the regular alternation of I and VII°7 in half notes.
Consequently, (1) if you transpose the theme by a seventh, it is
harmonizable by the alternation of VII° and "VI7," the latter of
which is good enough to approximate I since the "root G" is
metrically weak (cf. A in bar 2 with G in bar 28). Owing to the
similar regular alternation in both cases, the original and the
transposition work together in stretto if you shift the latter by a
half note. (2) If you invert the theme by using the ^3 as axis of
symmetry, you get another version with alternating I and VII°7, and,
by transposing this at the lower seventh (upper ninth), II and I7, of
which the II is can work as equivalent to VII°7. These features
account for all the strettos in this Fugue (except that the end of
the theme does not quite follow the alternating pattern).

Another of De Young's examples was the D-minor Fugue from WTC I. In
this case, too, you can harmonize the theme with alternating I and VII
°7, but the rhythm is now quarter-note + half-note. For this reason,
the stretto won't work in the upper seventh, but will work in the
octave, with a dotted half note as the temporal interval. In this
case, too, you can incorporate the inversion to the strettos by using
the ^3 as axis of symmetry, since this maps I to I and VII°7 to VII°
7. This accounts for most but not all strettos in this Fugue.

In principle, the B-flat fugue subject also works with the stretto at
the octave, if the temporal interval is two beats. (I just tried it,
it sounds OK.) However, Bach did not use this, perhaps because it is
too confusing metrically.

However, the I–VII°7-alternation technique certainly accounts for
only a minority of Bach's strettos (and works less well in major). I,
too, mostly recommend trial-and-error for my students.

Olli Väisälä
ovaisala at siba.fi