[Smt-talk] Doubling the tone of resolution

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Fri Nov 9 04:22:04 PST 2012

Nicolas' response reminds me of all the times an entering student has come to my office and said they wanted to study music, prompting my humorous inner voice to reply, "Which music do you want to study?" The beauty of the field in which we labor is its endless variety of styles and practices. It is nigh on impossible to get our students to appreciate the breadth and depth of the harmonic/melodic traditions in the worlds of folk, world, pop, jazz, and classical music. By tradition, we choose a limited number of models as the basis of our instructional efforts and quite often that is not the music they wanted to study. The question we must ask ourselves is, "Which styles must every educated music student be familiar with before they graduate?" That is a game of value judgment that I am sure no two of us would agree upon.

On Nov 8, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Nicolas Meeùs wrote:

> This question, as obvious as it may seem, raises several further questions:
> – in what sense could a class about tonal music have to do with real music of our time?
> – why should we teach "real music", while historical books about music writing often taught "strict writing", explicitly remote from "real music" (I am thinking, specifically, of Fux' Gradus).
> – what is "strict writing" (enge Satz), what is "free writing" (freie Satz)?

Prof. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue S-72