[Smt-talk] Doubling the tone of resolution

Clemens Kemme ckemme at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 9 05:21:24 PST 2012

Dear all,

My remark to Nicholas was in the context of a small discussion we had after his reference to his old teacher who had taught him that in a 9-8 suspension there should always be at least one octave between the 9 and the tone of resolution. It went as follows:

CK: But what about bar 6 of Mozart's Hostias?
NM: It merely shows that what we were supposed to do in the harmony class has little to do with real music… Not really worth further discussion on SMT.'
CK: (…) I'm sorry to disagree (…). Your teacher's rule of course still covers more than 90% of the cases. And in the case of the Hostias one could observe that the lower bass is present in the orchestral bass, moreover follows immediately in the vocal bass too. This is also the case in many Bach chorales. It only shows that the rule as formulated by your teacher is too strict (although maybe useful for beginners), and that one should take the context and the instrumentation into account. And if what we prescribe in the theory class has little do do with real music, how will we convince our talented students? A point worth discussing on SMT, I think.

I think that it was never Fux's intention to prescribe anything that had 'little to do with real music'. On the contrary, he explicitly referred to Palestrina as his great example. But he had a very practical approach to teaching composition and believed in a well-considered pedagogical build-up, step by step to the Parnassus of 'real music'. And for that purpose he introduced a quite strict method. And a successful one: even Mozart used the method in his lessons to Attwood (he may have learned from it himself, since his father had a copy).

I don't believe in an opposition of 'strict' harmony/counterpoint vs. 'real' music. I fully agree with Olli Väisälä (see his reaction today), when he talks about the 'fruitfulness of the interaction of analysis and writing, predominantly based on the analysis and emulation of  "real music"'.

Talented music students get really motivated when they see how certain 'rules' only serve to help them to get certain aspects of writing under control. They have no problem understanding that 'rules' are often well-considered simplications, temporary limitations. For them, all of this has everything to do with real music.

Clemens Kemme
Conservatory of Amsterdam
ckemme at xs4all.nl

Op 8 nov. 2012, om 23:21 heeft Nicolas Meeùs <nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr> het volgende geschreven: