[Smt-talk] Bach quiz

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Thu Nov 15 06:33:20 PST 2012

Dear list,

Perhaps some of you might enjoy this kind of recreation. This is
perhaps a quiz but it might also be a query. The subject is parallel
fifths in The Well-Tempered Clavier (I and II).

I know one example of quite unequivocal parallel fifths in the 96
movements of WTC. Or perhaps two, if we count those produced by
sixteenth-note triplets in the D-Major Prelude from WTC II. But I
don't mean those.

If the example I have in mind is the only one, this is a quiz. Who
will know them or find them?! The quickest to answer gets the prize
of ... unfortunately nothing more than the huge honor of winning the
quiz.

If there are more equally unequivocal examples, I am certainly
interested in them, too, and this turns into a query.

(Dmitri T., as far as the quiz is concerned, you are not allowed to
use your computer program! ;-)

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi