[Smt-talk] Bach Quiz

auerbach at music.umass.edu auerbach at music.umass.edu
Thu Nov 15 14:10:13 PST 2012

Greetings, Olli.

I'll play. Writing off the top of my head, I'll note that I've always
been tickled by mm. 49.3-51.2 in the C#-minor Fugue, Book II.

It's a clear set of parallel 6/3 chords, but the upper two voices are
stacked in fifths instead of the normative fourths. In my opinion, the
little bit of staggering and chromaticism Bach imparts to the alto do
almost nothing to mask the delightful // 5 effect.

I'd definitely mark it as unstylistic on a student counterpoint
assignment. The piece definitely still merits an A+, though.

Is this more or less what you're after?

--Brent

Brent Auerbach
Assistant Professor of Theory