[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Michael Morse mwmorse at bell.net
Wed Oct 31 14:54:50 PDT 2012

This puts me in mind of Tibor Kneif's bitter but apt rejoinder to Alphons Silbermann's sociology of music book. Silbermann also eschewed notated examples, and even technical knowledge of music, claiming it wasn't necessary to the sociology of music as a discipline. To which Kneif replied: what about knowledge of sociology, then? Is that necessary?
MW MorseTrent University

"... we we decided that this history would contain no musical examples...we wanted to write a book without reference to musical scores." [...] "Readers will look in vain for abstract structural analyses of music, or extended descriptions of notes interacting with each other: that kind of information, although relatively easy --- with training --- to extract from a score, is virtually impossible to extract from listening to or attending an opera."