[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Deborah Burton burtond at bu.edu
Wed Oct 31 19:27:31 PDT 2012

Abbate and Parker (and others) have been heading in this direction for a long
time. This latest step out the analytic door, though, leaves more room for the
rest of us.

Their logical flaw, however—-even if it were true that it was "impossible" to
extract analytic information from listening without a score-—is that one would
also not be able extract the sorts of abstruse criticism they serve up under
the same conditions.

Deborah Burton
Boston University
burtond at bu.edu