[Smt-talk] Improvisation for Harmony

Michael Callahan michaelrcallahan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:28:02 PDT 2012

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for posting these videos, which are terrific, as are the ideas that you put forward in your JMTP article.  I include improvisation in my counterpoint and keyboard skills courses, but I find myself teaching it very differently in a group setting versus in an individual lesson.  I have much more experience with the former, so I am intrigued by what you are able to do one-on-one.  What a treat to teach harmony to one private student in such a responsive, unhurried, musical way!  I'm curious to know how similar or different your approach is when there are 10+ students.  I'd love to see videos of that process if you have them.

Best,
Mike

Michael Callahan
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Michigan State University

mrc at msu.edu

Dear colleagues,

I have posted a few videos demonstrating how I teach beginning harmony through improvisation. I described the method in v. 25 of JMTP, but it?s better to see it in action. Comments welcome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcATH42tWU<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcATH42tWU>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r0DODEf_po<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r0DODEf_po>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsOpwYgrJFc<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsOpwYgrJFc>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trkrMWbjGA<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trkrMWbjGA>