[Smt-talk] FW: ABSENCE OF LEAD SHEET

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 11:40:21 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

yes, thinking harmonically can help. How much passes before our eyes and ears in these few measures in the Prelude in E minor! The whole life, with its ups and downs, its distractions and attractions. Professor Doyle is dismayed at the attempt of Professor Jablonsky to name all the chords here, with the premonition "not to forget about counterpoint." How inappropriate is this gesture here: not only that we must name each chord that we see, but also the chords and the keys which are not present in the score but implied by Chopin. And this progression is not a sliding of some abstract non-harmonic lines. It contains counterpoint on the surface (everybody can see the chromatic descending lines), but in depth Chopin gives out a series of sighs, the sigh of S-D (the second and the third chords) and then, the broken sighs, unfinished sighs, interrupted gestures, a gaze, full of tears, etc. Now he rushes to one side, now he stops in the middle of the gesture,
 now he desperately drops his hands, etc. Not to hear all this harmonically means not to hear music at all. And Jobim seconds this magnificent diary of despair in his "How Insensitive." It is the same work of mourning, threads of desire and despair of helplessness. Weg mit Kontrapunkt!

Best,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins
Solfeggio7 at yahoo.com