[Smt-talk] ABSENCE OF LEAD SHEET

ovaisala at siba.fi ovaisala at siba.fi
Mon Apr 22 08:45:42 PDT 2013

Dear list,

Reacting to my previous post, Gregory Proctor wrote:

> I knew people would choose to miscast my remarks. I should know
> better by now that lists like these have sunk bit by bit to the
> level of comments on political blogs. I give up. Goodbye list.

Unfortunately prof. Proctor seems thus to have chosen to abandon the
list owing to my humorous comment. I regret this; it was certainly not
my intention.

I by no means "chose to" misunderstand his assertion that "inversion
is overrated in classical music." I genuinely found no sensible way to
understand it and thought that perhaps taking this assertion at its
face value and drawing conclusions from it ad absurdum might provoke
him to explain what he actually meant. Unfortunately his post implies
that this will not be the case.

Perhaps I should not have tried to be humorous or ironic (especially
in a foreign language, whose nuances I am far from mastering), but my
attempts to find a serious approach to that assertion simply failed. I
thought that in principle it might mean either literally "inversions
were overrated by classical composers" or "approaches to classical
music overrate inversions." In my previous post, I played with the
consequences of the first option. But the second option also seems ?
how should I say ? utterly problematic, if we consider how an approach
making no distinction between "root position" and "inversion" would
succeed in describing the organization, say, in a paradigmatic
classical piece such as Bach's C-major Prelude from WTC I.

Hence, what I hoped to do in my post was to provoke greater clarity in
postings, but clearly my approach was a failure.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts, Helsinki
ovaisala at siba.fi