[Smt-talk] List-servs & inversions

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Apr 23 04:05:17 PDT 2013

Drawn in by Charles' references to "humour" and "loony" (Buffalo is
close to the promised land, after all), but mindful of the perils of
email ( what I call the "Alanis" conundrum), and hoping that my past
utterances provide some protection, I offer the following:

1.  Olii -- a little over-the-top (I have experience here . . . ),
apologize and move on
2.  Greg -- respectfully, get over it --
3.  Charles -- you are our Gandolf (scary thought!) -- the "thousands of
years ago" ref is priceless -- kids, read the lit, "It's all been done
before" (I've said this already!)
4.  Romans -- please take your numerals back -- your time has come and
gone --
5.  Colleagues -- read Wallace Berry before using the word "function" -
esp. ch2 (my favorite! - harmony = texture)

Dave Headlam

On 4/22/13 3:09 PM, Charles J. Smith wrote:
> In the recent Proctor/Väisälä exchange, we see the perils of trying to
> have real discussions about serious and important topics by list-serv.
> Perhaps this is a medium that has outlived its usefulness? It
> certainly is a pale shadow of what it was a decade or so ago, but that
> version (SMT Listserv 1.0?) was in some ways even more irritating. So
> did it ever have any usefulness? Well, not a whole lot perhaps, but
> there have fairly regularly been posts (a couple every month) that I
> print up and file, as something worth thinking about. They are usually
> the postings about particular configurations in particular pieces, but
> that might just be my particular take on things. It might be
> interesting to find out how many of the younger generation of
> self-described music theorists are subscribed; my sense is that the
> numbers are dwindling, for a variety of reasons.
>
> This last exchange puzzles me, however. I know Olii slightly (we
> shared a ferry ride from Talinn to Helsinki a few years ago); he
> reminded me that we had had a listserv run-in quite a while back, so I
> dug up and reread those posts and it was indeed an interesting
> disagreement about what counts as a "chordal" sonority in chromatic
> music. He is a smart guy and had a point; he didn't make me mad with
> his disagreement, and I hope I didn't enrage him either. Perhaps we
> both learned something from the exchange? What's the old saying?---I
> learn more from listening than from talking...
>
> Gregory is, as most of know (or should know) is one of the deepest
> thinkers about music out there. Someone whose every utterance is worth
> careful scrutiny, no matter how loony it might sound on the surface,
> if only because of all the brilliant things he has already said, in so
> many contexts on so many different subjects. So if he states that
> "inversion is overrated in classical music", I  am intrigued to try to
> figure out what he meant. It is a statement that opens some
> interesting doors, at least for me.
>
> My own theoretical and pedagogical inclinations have of late been to
> mistrust Roman numerals (i.e. the whole apparatus of roots and
> inversions) more and more. This is a long story, which will soon be
> presented more fully in some other venue, but tonal functionality
> seems to me to be better captured by describing the functions of
> chords and their bass scale-steps, with figured-bass symbols brought
> in when one needs to know something about the particular
> chord-quality, whether there are sevenths that need resolving, and so
> forth---and RNs hardly at all. (It was quite gratifying a few years
> ago to find out that this approach to harmony, in use at Buffalo for
> years, decades even, was independently arrived at by Ian Quinn at
> Yale---another of those thinkers who is always worth a careful
> listen.) In other words, of the three established historical
> approaches to harmony---function theory, thorough bass, and
> [...]

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory
Eastman School of Music 585-274-1568
Joint Professor of Electrical and Computer
  Engineering    University of Rochester
david.headlam at rochester.edu
http://theory.esm.rochester.edu/dave_headlam