[Smt-talk] Mozart harmonic progression

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Mon Apr 22 20:14:45 PDT 2013

Dear Eric,

If you mean the Don Giovanni progression, where the raised “VI7” (minor, not
half-diminished) results from a 7-6 suspension (but is very striking
nonetheless), Chopin replicates it in the opening of his E-minor Concerto.
There is no doubt in mind that Chopin learned the progression from Mozart.

Eytan Agmon

Bar-Ilan University