[Smt-talk] Inquiry

MICHAEL KLEIN mklein01 at temple.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:48:29 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Raymond Monelle introduced these particular terms in his book *The Sense of
Music*.  However, I would say that similar ideas about types of musical
time go back much further.  Jonathan Kramer's *The Time of Music* is a good
place to look, although (as Monelle argues), Kramer often confuses the time
of the signifier with the time of the signified.  Monelle's book will
certainly have a number of sources concerning musical temporality (time as
meant).

Then there's some hack (Michael Klein) who wrote about lyric and narrative
time in Chopin, but you can't trust that guy.

All Best,

Michael

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Adriana Ponce <adriponce at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear collective wisdom,
>
> Would anybody be so kind as to point me in the direction of the origins of
> the term lyrical and narrative time in music?
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Adriana Ponce
>
> Adriana Ponce
> Assistant Professor