[Smt-talk] Chord Inversion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 19:15:04 PDT 2013

Dear Olli,

this discussion is fascinating! Thank you for bringing this up. It makes previous deliberations clearer and more useful.

I agree with you that TSDT is most effective in the expositional segments, where it delineates the key. I have been thinking for a long time about how this syntactic cycle (the circle, the grip, in fact) can work in the context of modulation (large scale modulation, what German theorists called grosse Modulation). The TSDT has cognitive foundation: it is based on our instinct of grabbing and not letting go of the tonal center. This is happening against our will: once I have captured the key, I cannot let it go. When in this circle, I do not want to get out of it. So, Bach does some interesting maneuvers with this cycle, I think. Well, I better write a small article on this topic.

As for the unfortunate exchange with Dr. Proctor, I think I understand what he means. It was Leo Bussler who said that chromatically altered chords act the same way as unaltered, but the further we go into late-Romantic harmony, more we notice that some transformations (alterations along with inversions) freeze. My teacher Yuri Kholopov called this effect disalteration. So, the Gr+6, for example, receives the root on scst lowered 6 in major. We know, that it is not its actual root, but in real music making of the late 19th century it becomes insignificant.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Solfeggio7 at yahoo.com