[Smt-talk] Craig's List

Andie Sigler andrea.sigler at Mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 29 06:15:56 PDT 2013

Very interesting questions!

First of all ARE there programs that can write conventional fugues? Can
anyone link to one?

Secondly, (if there is such a program), has the algorithm been sufficiently
explicated by its authors that it is replicable (this is one of the major
problems in this area in my view!)

Thirdly, supposing there is such a program and its methods are completely
open for scrutiny, there are still a number of questions we would want to
ask about how the program works, which would help us decide whether
studying the algorithm might really teach us about (a subset of) music and
how it might be constructed.

-Does the program rely on recombination or statistical methods on a
database? That is to say, is its theory of musical ecriture one of plunder
and cannibalism, or does it have a more fundamental theory about the
combinatorial possibilities of basic musical materials.

-Does it rely on a selection of hard coded (explicit and invariant)
templates e.g. for form, harmonic progressions, etc.

-What is the generality or range of the output? In what ways can the output
differ? How deterministic is the program and in what ways? How are
decisions made? What are the facilities for analysis? What is the role of
randomness?

-Are assumptions and parameters open for scrutiny? To what extent can they
be modified?

-Is the model of "a fugue" about simply about the correct general
form/texture, harmony and counterpoint, or is there some notion of overall
dramatic flow, rhythm and economy of the introduction of new material, and
other high level concerns...

Andie