[Smt-talk] Fwd: good bacterial vibrations

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Aug 6 18:53:51 PDT 2013

Hi Donna -- the article mentions "tuning fork", "oscillators", and
changes in amplitude, but also a "moving needle" somewhat, I imagine,
like a seismic graph. Distinctions between bacteria seem to be based on
amplitude alone, rather than complexity of the vibration, level of
periodicity or something akin to frequency or amplitude modulation (
beats, etc.).  The article ends with the provocative statement, "if it
moves [ vibrates, oscillates, etc.] it's alive" in reference to "martian
dirt."  Any vibration has some potential for expression and so
cataloging the nature of vibrations seems to be one way of identifying
phenomena, and perhaps distinguishing not only life forms from each
other but live forms from inanimate ones.  Perhaps a future Enterprise
will have an "Acoustics Officer" in the station beside Science Officer
Spock -- One can only imagine what "He's dead, Jim!" might signify in
this context -- perhaps "He's ceased vibrating, Jim" will be the
pronouncement as a tuning fork is returned grimly to it's holster.

As for Strauss, with his C and B he got very close to the 60 Hz Bb that
apparently shapes sports chants and perhaps Zarathustrian pontifications
( I have a vague recollection here of a basketball scenario and Dan
Harrison as authority, back when "smt-talk" was traded in stone tablets).

Dave Headlam

On 8/4/13 8:05 AM, Donna Doyle wrote:
> P S Or, vibrations divided, of course.
>
> Interesting, R Strauss' prescience in Zarathustra re the pitch of the
> universe (B), although he got it the other way around (Zara's C for
> universal nature and B for human).
>
> With affiliation this time,
>
> Donna Doyle
> Queens College CUNY
> Flushing, NY 11367
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From:* Donna Doyle <donnadoyle at att.net <mailto:donnadoyle at att.net>>
>> *Date:* August 4, 2013, 7:15:24 AM EDT
>> *To:* Dave Headlam <dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
>> <mailto:dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu>>
>> *Cc:* "smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org
>> <mailto:smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org>"
>> <smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org
>> <mailto:smt-talk at lists.societymusictheory.org>>
>> *Subject:* *Re: [Smt-talk] good bacterial vibrations*
>>
>> Thanks, Dave!
>>
>> Questions: Are the vibrations steady? If multiplied to lie within
>> human hearing range, what pitch would they produce? (Remember the NPR
>> program on the pitch of outer space?)
>>
>> Best,
>> Donna Doyle
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2013, at 7:33 AM, Dave Headlam <dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
>> <mailto:dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -- interesting story here about vibration rates in bacteria and
>>> applications for antibiotics.  Makes me wonder about possible uses
>>> for music theory outside the usual classroom - hotel ballroom
>>> circuit.  Could we help analyze these pathological songs?
>>>
>>> http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/06/microscopic-tuning-forks-could-m.html?ref=hp
>>>
>>> Dave Headlam
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave Headlam