[Smt-talk] Caution versus Generalization

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 01:44:55 PDT 2013

Dear Nicolas and the list,

I find it very difficult to perceive that Riemann has been insensitive to directionality in tonal music. Au contraire, he was one of two (with Rameau) who suggested a superstructure, something above and behind the notes, which would drive music in time. How else could you explain that dominant triad SHOULD resolve to tonic triad? Are there any ideas beyond tonal-harmonic functionality that could explain this simple yet mysterious phenomenon?

Made-up concepts, such as "syntax" which should unfold only in one direction, are just that -- made-up things. Who would ban the Subdominant-to-Tonic motion as functional and syntactic?

As for Erpf and Riemann--they both agreed with Rameau who called the upper fifth dominant and the lower fifth sous-dominant. This is the topic for the freshmen at the conservatory. The only one who did not understand that subdominant is located a fifth below tonic was Heinrich, who obsessively interpreted the subdominant note as an adjacency to dominant on every so-called voice leading graph.

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com