[Smt-talk] Caution versus Generalization

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Thu Aug 29 12:59:57 PDT 2013

I think so too, even if perhaps in different terms.

On the one hand, it is true that Erpf, reviving 18th-century theories
that the 7th of the dominant chord actually is the subdominant degree
(Rameau, d'Alembert, and more specifically perhaps Jean Adam Serre),
appears to reduce the opposition between dominant and subdominant. It is
in that sense that V11, even more than V7, combines a bottom D and an
upper S.

On the other hand I think that Erpf is more sensible than Riemann ever
was to the direction of the movement. There is something strange in the
fact that Riemann opposes I--IV--I movements, on one hand, to I--V--I
movements on the other hand, while there seems to be an obvious analogy
between I--IV and V--I on the one hand, IV--I and I--V on the other hand.

All this may be considered to weaken the opposition between dominant and
subdominant functions. I don't think it really does. But certainly it
does not "repudiate" any of them.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne