[Smt-talk] a la mode

Michael Morse mwmorse at bell.net
Sun Dec 1 08:49:10 PST 2013

A careful and slow reading of the august Cambridge History of Western Music Theory, together with keen observation and occasional participation in the lively discussions here, has convinced me that there is no concept in music more confused than mode. I don't even think "ambivalent" covers it; somehow, over the millennia, what can only be entirely disparate phenomena came to be addressed and, more parlously still, labelled with this term or its analogues. The only faint shred of sense in the whole history is making itself felt in the present discussion, namely that the conceptions have,  one and somehow, all something presumably tangible to do with historical and local practices--but alas not, as Aristotle and Aristoxenos thought, the mere pitch collection inclinations of tribes and locales.
In this context, I'm much intrigued by Ildar's citing of the Corfu colleague's succinctly Aristoxenean conception. Perhaps music scholars generally, and theorists in particular, need above all to start over with the Augean Stables task of disentangling the constituent components of "mode" from each other, starting with "mode" and "scale," proceeding to "interval," "triad," "chord," and "tonal function."
A perhaps unexpected starting place might be the literature on folk song, most of it from the early/mid previous century. A notion such as Bertrand Bronson's "mode star," which postulated that the seven tones disport themselves like points on a star, breaking off and shifting identity one at a discrete time through the processes of oral transmission, was widely and deservedly ridiculed. But what is the truth? Beyond generalization such as broad inclinations to pentatony, what can we say about modality in Anglo-American folk musics? Fortunately, there is a significant body of field recording still around to enable such questions to be posed anew. Bronson shared with less rash students the presumption that church mode nomenclature was a sufficient instrument for analysis. Is it? As several have already asked implicitly, was it?
[A final footnote: jazz theorist George Russell became convinced that the 7 tone pitch collection most logically connected to the triad through the overtone series was {what we call} the lydian rather than ionian mode. The very fact that could be such a controversy as late as 1950 is more than suggestive. Moreover, Russell himself and his influence generated a considerable body of practice based on this contention.]
Michael MorseTrent UniversityPeterborough, Oshawa

[...]I also remember one participant at the conference in Corfu, several years ago, saying that the triad is not preconditioned by the seven-step scale, and tonal function is not preconditioned by the triad. It took additional theorizing to come up with the new categories, including the parsimonious role of the harmonic major pitch collection. In the course of innovation, older things are being abandoned. For example, diatonic is not heptatonic pitch collection. Neither pentatonic, nor octatonic have been honored by Greek root dia--, only the seven-note scale. Dia--, of course, does not have anything to do with the number of notes; rather, it refers to a mysterious linear coherence, achievable in tonal music. So, when Rimsky-Korsakov uses diatonic--he uses it not as a pitch collection. When he switches to octatonic (which in Russia is always called R-K scale, see, e.g. opera Sadko,
 immersion scene), he treated it as an artificial pitch collection.
Best wishes,
Ildar KhannanovPeabody Conservatorysolfeggio7 at yahoo.com