[Smt-talk] Harmonic and Melodic Scales

Marcel de Velde marcel at justintonation.com
Tue Dec 3 12:37:21 PST 2013

Dear Martin,

I must respectfully disagree with your conclusion.

While I'm not an expert in neuroscience of music, I have read enough in
this field that it appears strongly to me that it currently does not yet
give a clear answer on the topic of how we perceive intervals.
A 12-step chroma space like you describe seems to me to be in direct
conflict with the practice of many great composers and my own personal
experience of how I interpret music.
Lets take the diminished fourth vs the major third. They are two
completely different intervals, the music itself makes clear which is
which even if they are tuned the same, and they have been used as
different intervals by many great composers to great effect.
Common practice music theory would for very important parts fall apart
if we assume a 12-step chroma place / true enharmonic equivalence.
Or as another example, take a G# and an Ab in the context of a piece in
for instance C major. They are two different notes and function in
different ways, "feel" different and are naturally played at a different
pitch on free pitch instruments.

This also means that when we modulate diatonic scales that strictly
speaking one does not get a 12-step chroma space.
Instead one gets ever more augmented or diminished notes. The circle is
only closed artificially in equal temperaments, but not in how we
perceive music.

Kind regards,

Marcel de Velde
Zwolle, Netherlands