[Smt-talk] Harmonic and Melodic Scales

Martin Braun nombraun at telia.com
Wed Dec 4 04:28:21 PST 2013

Dear Marcel,

The differences between C# and Db or between C-F and C-E# exist exclusively
in imagination. They have no physical basis.

If you read scores, major parts of your brain that are involved are the
visual brain, possibly the linguistic brain, and the auditory brain. Now, in
which of these parts of the brain varies the processing between C# and Db?

Answer: It varies in the visual and linguistic parts, but not in the
auditory parts.

The emotional associations may also vary, but it is important to note that
such variations are not part of the music but part of the ideas about music.

The small deviations from equal temperament that we see in historical
tunings are relevant for consonance issues. But they are not relevant for
pitch class. The interval C-F on the violin varies much more according to
musical context than it can vary on the cembalo according to different
tuning systems. The origin of this pitch class tolerance lies in the
auditory brain, where pitch class is not represented in narrow lines, like
on a ruler, but in wide strips, like on the back of a zebra.

More instructive than musical mathematics and philosophy is what the
musicians and the instrument makers do. In Indian classical music we have
the success of the 12-key hand-pumped harmonium. In European music we have
the introduction of 12-tone equal temperament in the fret spacing of the
lute. The latter predates Baroque music and excessive modulations. It is
interesting that 12-tone equal temperament in the fret spacing of the lute
was used, even though there was no compelling musical reason to do so, and
uneven fret spacing was also used and is quite popular today. The fact that
even fret spacing was used 500 years ago, for music that was not modulated
much, demonstrates the affinity of such a technique to the chroma map of the
auditory brain.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music