[Smt-talk] a la mode

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 09:44:16 PST 2013

Dear Michele and the List,

I agree with your arguments. But, wait, did I say "arguments"!?

My point was not to prove that these words have ancient Greek roots. Every ethnic group and every historical period introduce their "roots." The word root is deceiving here, however. The arbitrary character of  sign tells about something else: that roots are not the origins, rather--random combinations of phonemes. What is not arbitrary is the work on language, evolution and creative history of making roots express something important. This process is very slow. It takes centuries, if not millennia. National language carriers are trying to adjust their dialects to the mainstream medium--the academic communication.

I am amazed by how you mentioned semiotics in the beginning of your post and then kept trying to disprove my point that our academic thinking comes from ancient Greece. I hope you do not think that semiotics was invented by Ferdinand de Saussure. Indeed, in the course of time, some variations and refinements were added, but the concepts of seme, semeion, and semainomene were established by the Greek stoics. I refer to the beautiful collection Stoicorum veterum fragmenta, by H. von Arnim (another great 19th-century expert in Greek culture). Something very important had happen then. Compare the Genesis (the Old Testament) and the "new genesis" (the New Testament). In the old, in the beginning there was God and he created everything. In the new (apparently, created some 3000 years after the Old and way after the Greek stoics), we read that in the beginning there was Logos. That changes the rules of the game. Now, we see not only the objects that we
 study but also the medium, the interface, which we use in this study. Christianity could not have happened without Greek semeiotics. And in Al Koran, the second line after B'ismilla irrakhman irrakhim mentions kalam--the Word that Allah writes.

The same applies to so-called Music Theory. In this case we deal with the art (tekhne) of Muses and we are trying to observe (horao) something, which nobody can observe (theon). If, after that, Nicholas would still insist that it is counterproductive to derive contemporary musical-theoretical concepts from Greek concepts, it will be quite dubious and far-fetched. We have been there, have seen that. In the 20th century many thinkers dared to challenge our 2500 years of heritage. All these attempts ended badly. The hubris of modernism multiplied by bouts of nationalism turned out to be very expensive for the next generation.

The Greeks paid attention not only to what is being discussed (thesis) but also to how and in which terms and categories we do it (hypokeimenon, cata-Arogia, eidos, etc.). They psychoanalyzed the speaker and the text. In a blink of an eye, 25 centuries later, my teacher Jacques Derrida called this strategy "deconstruction." Nothing is being destroyed here, of course. We are just paying attention to some non-discoursive  premises of thought.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Johns Hopkins University