[Smt-talk] quick query

VINCENT PEREZ BENITEZ JR vpb2 at psu.edu
Thu Feb 14 07:56:05 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I would encourage everyone to read Benito V. Rivera's translation of Burmeister's Musica poetica (Musical Poetics, Yale University Press, 1993) for the analysis of the Lassus motet. Rivera examines Burmeister's two earlier treatises on musical composition in his introduction and then analyzes Musica poetica as a whole, setting it within its historical context. I value the fact that Rivera includes the Latin text and musical examples of Burmeister on the facing page with his translation and transcriptions on the other. In an appendix, Rivera includes passages of music cited by Burmeister, which assists with the interpretation of the musical-rhetorical figures found in Musica poetica.

All the very best,

Vincent Benitez, Ph.D., D.M.A.
Penn State University