[Smt-talk] question about music theory diagnostic exams for grad students

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 16:58:33 PST 2013

Dear Sam,

try to include a short exercise on harmonization of an unfigured melody. A 4 to 6 measure phrase which may include a digression, the use of an augmented six chord and a PAC. You will be surprised with the results. Also, a short piece or a theme of a larger piece given for the definition of form (one of a smaller forms) will be interesting to provide. Students should identify the form and highlight major harmonic events. We do these things at Peabody.

Best,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com