[Smt-talk] Recording production analysis: a primer

Sumanth Gopinath sumanth_gopinath at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:04:13 PST 2013

Dear all,

I am looking for a short article or book chapter that provides a useful introduction to the analysis of recording production in popular music for pedagogical purposes. I know a fair amount of very good literature on this subject, but I haven't yet encountered a relatively succinct piece that lays out the issues one might need to consider, presents a descriptive and analytic vocabulary, and then perhaps undertakes a couple of case studies to demonstrate. I'm imagining something akin to John Covach's very fine "Form in Rock Music: A Primer." Suggestions off-list are welcome, and many, many thanks for your help.

Best,

Sumanth

--

Sumanth Gopinath

Associate Professor of Music Theory

School of Music, University of Minnesota

612.624.1829 (office)

sumanth at umn.edu