[Smt-talk] Geno- and phenotype musical structures

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Jan 14 02:53:22 PST 2013

The concepts of genotype and phenotype can be understood in many
contexts. Shaumyan's /Semiotic Theory of Language/, so far as I
understand it, is purely semiotic and does not engage biological or
other cognitive aspects. It is mainly about language and grammar, which
in this case is not a metaphor. The analogy between Shaumyan's
"Applicative Universal Grammar" and Chomsky's generative grammar may be
closer, but Chomsky is less concerned with semiotics properly speaking,
i.e. with sign functions. Shaumyan's book specifically adresses this
question.

Shaumyan's genotype grammar has something in common with LOT, the
Language Of Thoughts, the "mentalese" (as does Chomsky's generative
grammar). It describes the universal aspect of language, it claims to be
the grammar of what is common to all languages, and it produces a
"grammatical meaning". Phenotype grammar, on the other hand, is
syntagmatic and lexical; it produces a "lexical meaning" and of course
belongs to specified individual languages. Shaumyan claims that a phrase
like /Colourless green ideas sleep furiously/ may lack a lexical
meaning, but keeps a grammatical meaning that Chomsky failed to
identify. But semiotic theory is not our main concern here.

I do not think it particularly enlightening to consider Sets as
genotypes and their realization as phenotypes, unless one were to admit
Set theory as a universal of musical language (which I doubt it is).
What Serge Lacasse has in mind seems to me rather of the order of the
type-token (or type-occurrence) opposition. All the more so that a type
is sometimes defined as the set of its tokens.
     It may be interesting to note that an /Ursatz/ also is a type, an
that its relation to its tokens is /semper idem sed non eodem modo/. And
the work contained in a score again is a type, of which the performances
are tokens.
     This both shows the richness of the idea of token-type, and its
lack of precise definition.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne
http://nicolas.meeus.free.fr