[Smt-talk] [Smt-announce] CFP: Engaging Students, a crowdsourced ebook on music pedagogy

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Jul 2 04:53:31 PDT 2013

Dear next new thing-ers:

This all sounds cool -- but, in an obligatory old-guard reply -- what's
the rush?  Do we want to create a music theory-based TED world of sexy
but not-road-tested (and in the case of most TED lectures, hopelessly,
romantically, pie-in-the-sky) solutions that last as long as a Tweet?
Tonal Theory in ten Tweets?  Check out
http://www.digitalculture.org/hacking-the-academy/conclusions/#conclusions-howard
for cautions ("meet the new boss . . . "), and also check into Dilbert's
attempts at working from home for more cautions on flipping classes --
and that's before online Netflix!!
(http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Working%20From%20Home).  I'm an
ipad-toting technology geek, but there's something to be said for a
well-considered thought process.  And don't forget to check with your
Provost on promotion requirements, which may not include "change the
world by Tuesday."

Otherwise, godspeed!

Dave Headlam

Dave Headlam