[Smt-talk] Criteria for Old and New

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 10:35:13 PDT 2013

Dear Nicolas,

thank you for this clarification. I enjoy reading Rameau in the original. It dawned at me that he had a stronger point than Schenker imagined. By the way, Rameau does not seem to use the adjectives "real"  and "abstract." Apparently, it is your evaluation, from Schenkerian standpoint. In Rameau's terms, basso fondamentale is REAL, and singing bass is common, but not true.

Yes, I know, that Fetis and some other French teachers avoided Rameau's terminology. There must have been some political reasons for that.  Well, at the same time, Fetis aknowledged the profound contribution of Rameau to theory of tonality, including his own theory.

It is common (and I would say, vulgar) to treat non-chord tones as non-harmonic tones. This, however, does not eliminate my question: are there true non-HARMONIC tones? What is the reason to treat them as non-HARMONIC? Perhaps, this is my fantasy, but the question remains open, because, if to reverse Schenker's argument, one can say that even the smallest "embellishment" note in classical style bears tonal-harmonic function (either T, or S, or D).

In addition, to your response to Dimitar, I do not think that T-S-D-T is an elaboration of tonic. There is no such thing as "tonic" before T-S-D-T plays out. It is clearly seen in modulation: we have not modulated until the full functional circle T-S-D-T in a new key has sounded. The T-S-D-T is the mainframe component of harmonic progression. It can be reduced only on paper, in ABSTRACT graphic analysis, but not in real living music.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
Solfeggio7 at yahoo.com

P.S. Looks like I will have a change to ask you some of these questions in person soon.