[Smt-talk] Criteria for Old and New

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Mon Mar 11 14:07:24 PDT 2013

Ildar,

I don't quite see what you mean by saying that the fundamental bass is
'real' and the singing bass 'not true'. What is certain is that,
whenever they are not the same, the continuo bass is that written in the
music and the fundamental bass is that imagined by the theorist.

Speaking of dissonances foreign to the harmony, you must realize that
the French Conservatoires were conceived in the early 19th century as
local branches of the Conservatoire National in Paris. The Conservatoire
National issued official manuals which were to be used throughout the
country. Most important for our discussion is Catel's Traité d'harmonie,
which became the official manual for all conservatoires in France and
which established the distinction between "natural" dissonances and
contrapuntal ones. Fétis has been one of the most zealous advocates of
this official, national doctrine, but even today Conservatoire teachers
and students consider it Gospel. That is to say that to view dissonances
as "foreign to the harmony" is neither new – it dates back to the 18th
century –, nor risible. In your place, I would very much hesitate to
call it "vulgar", especially in European circles were I believe it to be
very common.

You cannot seriously claim that any embellishment bears tonal-harmonic
function. This seems obvious in the case of a diatonic scale as
embellishment of a chord: the passing notes in the scale have no other
function in that chord (or in harmony at large) than that of being
passing notes.Also, in the case, say, of a 4–3 suspension, where 4,
however you consider it, is foreign to the harmony. You may claim that
its preparation, in the preceding chord, belongs to that chord. But the
preparation as such is not an embellishment.
     You may mean that these embellishment, whether they have 'harmonic'
function or not, certainly are loaded with musical meaning, which would
remind us of Schoenberg looking in vain for all these little notes in
Schenkerian reductions. But this is one of the most essential
misunderstandings about Schenkerian analysis. Schenker never ceased
repeating that it where the embellishments that gave music its meaning.
This had been one of the main points of his Beitrag zur Ornamentik, in
1904, and remained at the basis of his theory until the end, in Free
Composition.

If you believe that T–S–D–T can express a tonality, then you do believe
that it is an elaboration of a tonic (or, say, the affirmation of a
tonic) because that is what these terms mean. You are bound to admit
that the tonality exists at a level higher than any of these four
chords, even if it obviously results from successions of this kind.
T–S–D–T may be the mainframe component of harmonic progression, but T is
the mainframe component of tonality.

The whole idea of analytic reduction is that it is just that, "analytic
reduction". It aims at explaining what is happening in the real music,
not at replacing it. Besides, I never saw the letters T, S, or D in real
music either: these too belong to analytic reduction.

I think I will stop here, because our "discussion" turns to monologues,
and I see nothing of interest that could be added, especially if you
don't try to hear what I say.

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne