[Smt-talk] Criteria for Old and New

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 15:44:40 PDT 2013

My dear friend Nicolas,

(may I call you this way--after all, we have been exchanging the letters for several years now),

in the course of our exchange I have grown even stronger in my understanding of music and in my position in music theory. Accusation in that I do not hear you can be sent back to you, but there is no reason to engage in personal remarks. The internet blog is not the place to truly state theoretical ideas (it is normally a place to exchange photos from the restaurants and pictures of pets). Of course, it would be interesting if we exchanged the views through publications. I, from my side, can offer my modest attempt in an article "Hierarchy in Music Theory before Schenker" (Res musica, 4, Estonian Academy of Music and Theater, 2010). I invite you to criticise in in your publication anywhere. I can then respond, in writing.

On the other hand, I am working on so many interesting projects that expending my time on fighting with the windmills, proving that fake theory is fake, would be a luxury I cannot afford. Perhaps, I will find time to publish something on harmony, voice leading, Rameau, etc. At this point, I can assure you that behind me there is a tradition which is in no way less powerful that that of Schenker. I do not express my opinions. Rather, my statements are well-formulated principles, which were in the tradition for many decades, if not centuries.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com