[Smt-talk] Form and Analysis texts

David Claman davidclaman at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 08:25:36 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

I've been tasked with teaching undergraduate Form and Analysis next fall, which I have not taught before. During my studies in the previous millennium, I used Berry's "Form in Music" and the Burkhart anthology. I think the Burkhart anthology is excellent, but I would also like the course to include popular music and non-Western forms. I realize there are newer texts available. The publishing companies send them to me. But of course I have no time to examine them and textbook orders for the fall are due. I would be interested in others' experiences with and recommendations for textbooks.

Thank you,

David Claman Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music
Lehman College-CUNY