[Smt-talk] Form and Analysis texts

Olivier JULIEN olivier.julien at free.fr
Wed May 8 11:53:56 PDT 2013

Dear David,

A musicologist whose work I find most interesting in that field (i.e., form and formal structures in popular music) is John Covach. I don't actually have one book to recommend, but a series of book chapters:

=> Covach, John. 'Form in Rock Music: A Primer', in Engaging Music: Essays in Music Analysis, ed. by Deborah Stein, 65--76. Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
=> Covach, John. 'From "Craft" to "Art": Formal Structure in the Music of the Beatles', in Reading the Beatles: Cultural Studies, Literary Criticism, and the Fab Four, ed. by Kenneth Womack & Todd F. David, 37--53. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2006.
=> Covach, John. 'Leiber and Stoller, The Coasters, and the "Dramatic AABA" Form', in Sounding Out Pop: Analytical Essays in Popular Music, ed. by Mark Spicer & John Covach, 1--17. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 2010.

You might also want to check Richard Middleton's 'Song Form' entry in the second volume of The Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World -- I quite like the way he uses what he calls additive and sectional principles to put the development of particular song types and formal schemes in perspective.

=> Middleton, Richard. 'Song Form', in The Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, II, ed. by John Shepherd, David Horn, David Laing, Paul Oliver & Peter Wicke,  513--9. London & New York, Continuum, 2005.

Hope this helps.

With best wishes,

Olivier
----