[Smt-talk] [Smt-announce] Rite of Spring animation

Judith Petty jpetty at umich.edu
Fri May 24 00:05:12 PDT 2013

Dear list,

This animation reminded me of an early experience in elementary school, a
children's educational film animation of Tchaikovsky's "Waltz of the
Flowers" from the Nutcracker. Having already memorized the music (my first
classical record at age three), I vividly recalled the film for days
afterward (probably a prescient notion of my future life as a theorist).
This would have been in the 1960s, and the title was something like 'The
Kinetoscope.' I've looked for it since, also on YouTube, but have never
found it. Does anyone remember this film or know if it's still obtainable?

The film began with an announcer explaining the color of each instrument.
There were blue lines and shapes for the clarinet, pink for flutes,
sweeping brown lines for the strings, brassy yellow for brasses, and a line
of black dots for the timpani. These appeared in the waltz as the grey
screen scrolled to the left, just as in Malinowski's animation (but with
the sounding notes appearing at the right edge), except that it was made
decades before personal computers, GarageBand, and MetaSynth (the graphic
compositional software).

Any clues?

Judith Petty
Aural Skills Coordinator
University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance

Quoting Carlo Caballero on smt-announce:

"My friend Stephen Malinowski has created an "animated graphical score" of