[Smt-talk] Fantasia/was Rite of Spring Animation

Clendinning, Jane jclendinning at admin.fsu.edu
Fri May 24 07:00:56 PDT 2013

Judith,

I think the video you are referring to is from Disney's movie Fantasia (1940), which was in theatrical release in 1963 and again in 1969.  There are several movements from the Nutcracker Suite in the video, with animation, along with The Sorcerer's Apprentice and other classical music.  I clearly recall seeing this movie in a theater when I was young, too.   It was not like anything we had ever seen, and I had the soundtrack album at home, too-one of the few Classical albums I heard before high school.

About 15 years ago, the Big Bend Community Orchestra, which I played horn in at the time, did something interesting with the video-we provided the sound of the pieces by performing them live, synchronized to the images.  It was fun for the orchestra members-and challenging-as well as being very entertaining for the audience.  That is a community service orchestra made of amateurs, retired professional musicians, and professional musicians playing on their second or third instruments, and the audience was full of children, some of whom came up on stage for part of the concert to watch and listen from among the orchestra.

Anyway, that's likely the one you saw.  I have the Fantasia VHS, but not time now to cue it up and check to see if the video matches your description . . . and Disney assiduously pulls down any videos from YouTube, so it is not there, though the album soundtrack is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_udO2jo6k

All best regards (to Judith and to list-readers!)

Jane

Prof. Jane Piper Clendinning
Florida State University
College of Music