[Smt-talk] Combining recent threads

Richard Hermann harhar at unm.edu
Sun May 5 10:19:12 PDT 2013

Dear SMT-Listers,

FYI: John Mehegan's four volume series on jazz improvisation, theory, and piano playing featured prefaces and introductions by Harold Arlen, Leonard Bernstein, Bill Evans, Tom Glazer, and Horace Silver eschewed chord symbols and advocated roman numerals. They were published by Amsco Music Publishing Co. (Watson-Guptil) in New York under various titles and dates.

Of course some of jazz and popular music are poorly served by roman numerals. Steve Strunk's use of Neo-R on Weather Report and Chick Corea points to a fruitful path there.

I inform my classes of chord-symbols and introduce them to lead-sheets, and we talk about their pluses and minuses.

I caution my students to resist one-size-fits-all kinds of thinking. The more tools in the tool chest, the better.

Best,

Richard Hermann, Ph.D., Prof. of Music
Regent's Lecturer
Univ. of New Mexico