[Smt-talk] Semitonal voice leading

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Tue May 7 05:21:22 PDT 2013

I had argumented something of the kind in my paper "Transitivité,
rection, fonctions tonales"
(www.plm.paris-sorbonne.fr/IMG/pdf/NMTransitivite.pdf), some 20 years
ago, and I have since built my conception of harmonic functions
accordingly. In short, my idea is that functions are transitive, in the
linguistic sense of the term, that is, that they result from a
reciprocal relation between chords. The consequence is that they can
only be judged retrospectively, after the second chord has been heard.
This also concerns the "characterizing elements" (rections) of chords,
those that are supposed to be subjected to obligatory motion: there is
nothing obligatory (unless in our habits) until after the motion. Note
that this concerns parsimonious relations in general, not necessarily
semitonal.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne