[Smt-talk] Semitonal voice leading

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Tue May 7 06:05:35 PDT 2013

Hi Seth -- not sure about a Kurth connection, but check out

Mark DeVoto - "Alban Berg and Creeping Chromaticism" in the book 'Alban
Berg: Historical and Analytical Perspectives' edited by David Gable and
Robert Morgan, 1991.

Dave Headlam

On 5/7/13 7:12 AM, Seth Monahan wrote:
> Dear colleagues:
>
> Can anyone direct me to a theoretical discussion of 19th-century
> chromaticism that (1) addresses the kinds of creeping, semitonal
> chord-connections that inspired Kurth's conceit of "leading-tone
> energies," but which (2) argues that their apparent purposiveness is
> less a matter of intrinsic striving "within" the notes themselves than
> a function of retrospective hearing---i.e., that many or even most
> motions by semitone can be heard as "directed" or "purposeful" after
> the fact?
>
> Surely someone has argued this; any leads would be greatly
> appreciated! (Off-list replies are welcome, of course.)
>
> With thanks in advance,
>
> -Seth

> Seth Monahan
> Assistant Professor of Music Theory
> Managing Editor,/Theory and Practice/
> Eastman School of Music
> 26 Gibbs St.
> Rochester, NY, 14604
> (585) 274-1556
> smonahan at esm.rochester.edu <mailto:smonahan at esm.rochester.edu>
> www.sethmonahan.com <http://www.sethmonahan.com>

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory
Eastman School of Music 585-274-1568
Joint Professor of Electrical and Computer
  Engineering    University of Rochester
david.headlam at rochester.edu
http://theory.esm.rochester.edu/dave_headlam