[Smt-talk] Metamorphosis

Arndt, Matthew matthew-arndt at uiowa.edu
Thu May 16 20:51:02 PDT 2013

Dear Michael,

Gary W. Don wrote a dissertation on the topic: “Music and Goethe’s Theories of Growth” (Ph.D. diss., University of Washington, 1991). A few pieces by John Covach touch on the broader reception of Goethe's scientific ideas at the turn of the twentieth century, notably “The Sources of Schoenberg’s ‘Aesthetic Theology,’” 19th-Century Music 19/3 (1996): 252–262. And there have been several pieces about Goethe's influence on Schenker and Schoenberg in particular, the most notable of which is Severine Neff, “Schenker, Schoenberg, and Goethe: Visions of the Organic Artwork,” in Schenker-Traditionen, ed. Martin Eybl and Evelyn Fink-Mennel (Vienna: Böhlau, 2006), 29–50.

Matthew Arndt
Assistant Professor
The University of Iowa School of Music
2700 University Capitol Center