[Smt-talk] Goethe

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Mon May 20 06:57:38 PDT 2013

But why do you take this to be an offense? I am glad that you cannot
disconnect tonal functions from the tonal plan. The question remains
whether the tonal plan is the result of the concatenation of T + S + D +
T in this order, or the succession the result of the tonal plan itself,
meant to first express and stress T, then D and S as contrasts to T?
Whether, in other terms, the "Urphänomen" (to remain with Goethe) is
tonality, or functions.

The reason why I put "functions" in quotation marks is that I believe
that the functions arise from the tonal plan, while you believe that
they preexist it -- we obviously do not share the same understanding of
"function", and this is what the quotation marks were supposed to
stress: that there are among us different understandings of it.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne