[Smt-talk] Theory Remediation for Non-Theory MMs

David Bashwiner david.bashwiner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:18:46 PST 2013

Dear SMT friends and colleagues,

I would like to pose a question to the list about the structuring of theory
remediation requirements for non-theory MM students.

At the University of New Mexico, where I teach, we have recently instituted
an entrance exam for non-theory/comp MM students (in performance,
education, musicology, and ethnomusicology), which tests for basic theory
competency. Those that do not pass the exam are required to retake and pass
it before graduating, and we offer numerous options for developing the
required skills. As of now we do not require any particular method of
remediation—though we plan to beginning next year.

For those of you who have non-theory MMs at your school, my questions to
you are the following:

1. Do you require that students pass an entrance exam demonstrating
baccalaureate level competency in theory?

2. What criteria do you use to establish the level of that competency?
I.e., how high do you set the bar, and how do you justify that setting?
Does the theory area decide or has the faculty as a whole voted on it?

3. Do you require a particular method of remediation (e.g., take a class in
Remedial Graduate Music Theory), and if so, what is it? If it is a class,
does it meet in the flesh or online? Do students receive graduate credit
for this class? Does it cost them extra to take the course?

Thanks sincerely in advance for any responses you have the time to send.
This is the kind of policy question that ends up affecting many lives—those
of both faculty and students. I think having some perspective on this
matter will be of great benefit to both myself and all those who study and
teach music at UNM.

David Bashwiner

PS I imagine that off-list responses would be most appropriate, but if you
have anything to say of a more general interest, I'm sure everyone would be
happy to hear it.
PPS Just to be clear, theory/comp MM students of course have to take and
pass the test as well, but they are not the main concern here.
--
*David Bashwiner*
Assistant Professor of Music Theory