[Smt-talk] Double Harmonic Major and Minor

Martin Braun nombraun at telia.com
Thu Nov 28 05:45:48 PST 2013

Hi Marc, and others,

Indian music is not a subset of Arabian music, nor is it the other way
round. So I am unable to infer what you might have wanted to say.

The shruti intervals in Indian music do not build scales. Rather, they are
highly variable intervals than describe variations from the tones of the
basic scale. The basic scale is a Sa-Ri-Ga system that closely corresponds
to the western Do-Re-Mi system. This equivalence in scaling necessarily
implies an equivalence of an auditory 12-step chroma space. Arabian music
does not present a similar equivalence. Scales with augmented major seconds
are likely to be more stable if musicians and listeners have an auditory
12-step chroma space, like in Europe, India, China, and Japan.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-66492 Värmskog