[Smt-talk] II6/4

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Tue Sep 3 00:01:24 PDT 2013

Dear Vasili and List,

Thanks to Vasili for his most welcome contribution. In fact, what I
might have done in the first place is to consult Sanguinetti's (as
well as Gjerdingen's) book. However, I do not think Vasili's points
settle the matter of Schenkerian hierarchy as conclusively as he
suggests.

This relates with a topic that I find very interesting and have
thought about recently, namely how to relate "Gjerdingenian" schemata
with "Schenkerian" patterns. Their relationship is by no means
simple, i.e., a certain schema does not always call for a similar
Schenkerian reading. Consider Gjerdingen's Prinner, for example,
which is archetypally a ^6^5^4^3 top-voice line accompanied by
^4^3^2^1 bass, the ^6 being metrically strong. Such metrical
circumstances support a Schenkerian hierarchy in which the I6,
usually formed by the combination of ^5 in top voice and ^3 in bass,
is a passing chord (usually between IV and II7 or IV and VII6).
However, there can certainly be factors that require reading the I6
as structural. Of course, one also cannot rule out certain ambiguity
in this respect.

Similarly in the Mozart, the participation of the tonic in m. 6 in a
cadential scheme does not settle the matter of its position in
Schenkerian hierarchy. If we take the theme as such, I would consider
the ^4–^3–^2 pattern in mm. 5–7 supported by ^2–^1–^7 as inherently
ambiguous with respect to Schenkerian hierarchy. In the simple
circumstances of the theme, one can certainly hear the I m. 6 as a
genuine tonic. However, meter makes possible an alternative hearing
in which this passage prolongs the II by voice exchange. What I find
a really interesting compositional question is whether Mozart's
variation technique involves features that support one or the other
of the potential hierarchies. (Brahms's Haydn variations is a much
more ambitious example exploiting alternative hierarchies of
invariant scale-degree successions.)

The position of the ^3 in m. 6 in a 5-line also by no means settles
the matter. In Schenkerian 5-lines, the ^3 is sometimes supported by
a structural tonic but very often it functions as a passing note
between ^4 and ^2.

What I find most illuminating in Vasili's post is the relationship he
points out between two variant forms of cadenza lunga. Both bass line
possibilities are amply used in the Mozart variations. 2–7–1–6–4–5–1
is, of course, in the theme and also in vars. I, V, VI, X (slightly
varied), and XII, whereas 6–7–1–6–4–5–1 is in vars. II, III, IV, VII
(varied), XI (varied). Moreover, the II9 suspension that Vasili
mentions occurs in m. 5 of vars. V and VI (in var. I one might
perhaps hear the high E6 in m. 4 as implicitly suspended in m. 6).
Hence Mozart resorts to schemata that were generally available to
composers of the time as variants of each other. The perception of
them as variants would, of course, go well together with my effort to
interpret them through similar voice-leading models, both involving
the II scale degree.

Now to the question whether the variations with a root-position II in
m. 5 contain a prolongation of II in mm. 5–7. As I already observed
in my previous post, in var. I the II in m. 5 gets some emphasis
through the slight tonicization, and the subsequent "I" (m. 6) is
weakened by being a part of the right hand's sequential design. Of
course, the right-hand figure already begins in m. 4, but I would
suggest that this is sufficiently counteracted by the hypermetrical
strength and tonicization of II. In vars. V, VI, and XII, the span
connecting the downbeats of mm. 5 and 7 is also bound together by a
unified design (in var. V somewhat anticipated in the preceding
upbeat to prepare the first suspension).

In all these cases, I would not hesitate reading a prolongation of II
in mm. 5–7. In vars. V and VI, the impression of the weakness of the
"I" in m. 6 is particularly enhanced by the chain of suspensions that
goes through it. Now whether or not one agrees with this
prolongational interpretation, I hope we can agree with the
observation behind it: there are several features in these variations
that diminish the likelihood that the I in m. 6 is perceived as a
starting or end point of a perceptual unit (relative to m. 5 and 7).
In this way I hope to have given an idea of the interaction of
cadential and "Gjerdingenian" schemata (if I may use that word) with
other factors. A composer such as Mozart was able to give various
nuances to such schemata by varying their points of emphasis and
embedding their framing points into larger patterns etc. etc.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts Helsinki
ovaisala at siba.fi