[Smt-talk] II6/4

Vasili Byros vasili.byros at aya.yale.edu
Mon Sep 2 16:18:53 PDT 2013

Dear Olli,

The passage you cite in bars 5–7 is a cadential lick that Mozart and others use frequently. In this context, the tonic in bar 6 is not "apparent" but an integral part of the schema's cascading thirds in the bass (1–6–4).

When forming an authentic cadence, the formula's bass goes (1–)6–7–1–6–4–5–1. For a half cadence, (1–)6–7–1–6–4–#4–5. For an example of each, see the K466 concerto, first movement, bars 41–44 and 121–124, respectively (in D minor and F major).

The pattern is a species of what Italian musicians called a cadenza lunga (long cadence) in the eighteenth century (see e.g. Giorgio Sanguinetti's Art of Partimento, p. 109). This cadence, like other cadenze lunghe (of which there are many), is really a concatenation of two bass patterns: (do–)la–ti–do and do–la–fa–sol–do. See the first example in the attached PDF.

The middle tonic here is a cadential fulcrum, of sorts. In Schenkerian terms, your "apparent tonic" also occurs at the midpoint of a 5-line. In other words, the two patterns that make up the cadenza lunga also correspond to two third-progressions (G–E, E–C) that bisect the larger line in the top voice. (This 5-line is of course a central feature of the "Maman" theme.)

You may be onto something, however, regarding a suppressed ii chord in bar 5: not a ii6/4, but a ii9/3. This cadenza lunga often begins not with 6 in the bass but with 2, resulting in a partimento formula called the "down a third up a step" (and vice versa), 2–7–1–6–4–5–1 (usually preceded by 1 or #1). This formula is frequently harmonized with alternating 9/3 and 6/5 chords: see the second and third examples in the attached PDF as well as Sanguinetti, p. 150, Example 9.45d.

Examples of this pattern are ubiquitous in the literature.

Hope this helps...

All best wishes,
Vasili

Vasili Byros
Assistant Professor, Music Theory and Cognition
Northwestern University
Bienen School of Music
711 Elgin Road
Evanston, IL 60208