[Smt-talk] II6/4

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Thu Sep 5 11:57:39 PDT 2013

Nicolas,

Your mail raises the semantic question of the definition of
"tonality." This is, of course, a thorny issue; Schoenberg insisted
that his music remained tonal.

But let us circumscribe the issue by speaking of major-minor
tonality. I agree with you that in this sense music can be more or
less tonal; one can speak of both pre-tonal and post-tonal music
having tonal features.

Another question concerns the relationship between tonality and
Schenkerian hierarchy. I think there is music (pop music with two
chords etc.) that is obviously tonal in the major-minor sense but has
only the shallowest hierarchy and for which the notion of structural
levels has limited descriptive power. Of course one might say that
this music is "less tonal" or not "truly tonal," but I would find
this a strange semantic choice, as long as the music exploits major
and minor scales and tonal harmonic surface syntax. I would thus keep
separate the notions of tonality and hierarchical depth. I would say
that tonal music has the potential of the kind of hierarchical depth
that Schenker described but this is by no means always fully
exploited. And, incidentally, also non-tonal musics can have
potential of hierarchical depth exploited to various degrees.

Now to the judgment of artistic value. I certainly agree with you
that there are several ways in which music can be interesting or
artistically valuable. Schenkerian hierarchy is a significant
artistic resource for tonal music, but it is by no means the only
resource. Above I mentioned pop songs with two chords, but we might
also think of Chopin's Berceuse which gets along with two chords
almost throughout, thus lucidly demonstrating just how much of the
charm of Chopin's art resides in the very surface.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
University of the Arts Helsinki
ovaisala at siba.fi