[Smt-talk] II6/4

=?x-mac-roman?Q?Nicolas_Mee=9Ds?= nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Thu Sep 5 00:27:26 PDT 2013

Olli, I find your statement somewhat puzzling. Do you mean "a general
theory of masterworks", which indeed Schenkerian theory is in a way but
which is not necessarily incompatible with its being a general theory of
tonality, or "a general theory of the tonality of masterworks", which
seems to me hardly possible.

Speaking of Schenker's own intentions, I believe he intended his theory
as a general theory of tonality, but somehow immediately added that true
tonality was accessible only to the genius. We may disagree with the
second part of the intention without rejecting the first.

When you mention "a certain kind of art music", you imply that there
exist other kinds of music (say, lighter music) that may not show the
same hierarchies. Indeed; but doesn't that also imply that these kinds
of music evidence a lesser level of "tonality"? Do you believe that
music is either tonal or not, a mere binary choice? Don't you think that
tonality, on the contrary, is something that grew rather slowly and that
there are late Renaissance or very early Baroque pieces that are less
tonal than, say, a Beethoven symphony, but nevertherless somewhat tonal?

This, contrarily to what Schenker thought, does not involve a complete
judgment of valor, because the valor of a piece of music may reside
elsewhere. I trust that it is possible to recognize levels of tonality,
which may indeed be dependent on the hierarchy of structural levels.
Whatever interest one may have for some recent cases of tonal music, one
must admit that the interest often does not reside in these pieces being
tonal...

Nicolas Mees
UniversitŽ Paris-Sorbonne (Emeritus)

Le 3/09/2013 20:57, Olli VŠisŠlŠ a Žcrit :